Jul 15, 2015

The Path of Grief Led to Places I Never Imagined

I never imagined fifteen years ago when my husband died suddenly at the age of 54, that I'd be a published author. It's a path I always wanted to follow and over the years we were married, John encouraged me to keep going. For several years I hosted a writer's group at the house which helped push me forward. Then when I went through my master's program for a degree in Curriculum and Instruction, John was behind me a hundred percent.

 After he died in 2000, I filled notebooks with the painful loss. Those notebook entries were the inspiration for my memoir, Twenty-Eight Snow Angels A Widow's Story of Love, Loss and Renewal. The book's helping other widows and widowers find meaning in life again. After publishing Twenty-Eight Snow Angels, I moved in a new writing direction. I filled notebooks with ideas for a novel. At a writer's conference in California, I read out a few pages of a draft of a WWII novel. With the constructive feedback from the people in the group, I came home excited to write a book. After three years of researching, writing and lots of starts and stops, my debut novel was published in July, 2015. Courageous Footsteps is a young adult historical novel, set in a Japanese internment camp during WWII. The story was inspired by a Japanese family that lived across from me in Minneapolis, Minnesota when I was a child.
As deep as that initial grief was and how dark life seemed, eventually the grief softened. With support and help from others, my life slowly found its purpose and direction. I carry the memories of my loving husband with me and always will. allowfullscreen>
Courageous Footsteps
">
http://www.outskirtspress.com/footsteps

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I did see angels when I was sick as a young child. They were chubby cherubs
    that seemed to float high above me. I was enchanted with them but as my fever subsided and I became healthy again they disappeared. I've never seen them since then. Sirpa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sirpa, thank you for sharing your angel experience. During my early days of grief dreams of my husband were like messages from angels. Since then I've made snow angels in the Minnesota snow almost every year.

    ReplyDelete