Nov 6, 2011

the Independent Life

Learning to do things on your own is a survival skill all women should acquire. When you're suddenly left alone after the death of a spouse or a divorce you'll need a sense of confidence that you can face challenges alone. Take time now to eat at a table for one in a restaurant, fly off to a far away city or venture out on a solo driving trip. Believe me you'll be glad you did. I recently met a woman at a conference who said, "I never travel without my husband. I don't think I could do it alone." Expand your solo adventures and gain confidence in your independence now, and you'll be better prepared to face the challenges of life alone. More thoughts on independence in Twenty-Eight Snow Angels: A Widow's Story of Love, Loss and Renewal

1 comment:

  1. This is very good advice Diane. I had done some traveling alone prior to marriage as I didn't get married until I was 25. It served me well when my husband, whom I adored and didn't think I could live without, walked out after 18 years of marriage. So often those who have been divorced jump quickly into a 2nd marriage, in part I think because they can't stand being alone. I never remarried, in part because I had previous experience being alone. Hey, if you ever need a travel buddy I'm available.

    ReplyDelete